40 Cloves and a Chicken is an easy & delicious dish for the entire family.
- 40 cloves of Gilroy Garlic
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 10 Sprigs of Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Season chicken with a light coating of olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Brown the chicken on the stovetop in a Dutch Oven.
- Once both sides are browned remove from heat, add 1/2 cup olive oil, herbs, and garlic.
- Cover the dutch oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy.
So the original version of this is actually a Chicken Provençal by James Beard and includes 1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons of dry vermouth. You can add dry vermouth or white wine as you see fit. We'll post our own Gilroy Garlic Chicken Provençal over the next couple weeks.